Goal Setting Tip Sheet
Goal setting is a skill that can be developed through practice over time. It is a process that moves us from our current state to a preferred future state.
One of the biggest impediments to achieving goals is our ability to set effective goals. Here are a few “big picture” tips:
- Establish a purpose – what is the compelling reason to achieve your goal?
- Promote challenge – set a goal that is just beyond your comfort zone.
- Create a sense of urgency – establish a realistic timeframe to achieve the goal.
- Seek clarity – so, exactly what is it you are trying to achieve?
- Establish strategy – plan to act in ways that promote goal achievement.
- Identify resources – assets that will support you to achieve your goal.
- Build agency – develop the capabilities that promote goal achievement.
- Measure progress – establish performance milestones and monitor progress towards goal achievement.
- Reflect and revise – be agile and make modifications where required to promote goal achievement.
Think big and start small – setting effective goals is a learning process.